Anyone serious about Search Engine Optimization (SEO) has no-doubt scoured the Internet looking for tutorials, tips and (dare I say it) ‘tricks’ to impress the major search engines and increase their website’s presence. SEO, of course is a vital part of any web publicity campaign. However, I feel that the vast majority of available SEO techniques focuses too heavily on technical aspects and not enough on the actual content itself. Here are a few pointers toward delivering a more powerful SEO to your website.
Build it and they will come
Content – that is the real secret to web-success. As a web-master, you have got to ask yourself the following questions:
- What am I trying to achieve?
- Who am I trying to impress?
- Does my site have a unique selling point? Does it stand out from the crowd?
- What can I give to my visitors to keep them hooked?
- What is my niche?
The answers such questions might be:
- A successful web-presence.
- People, men, women and children (maybe even their pets)! Anybody and every body interested in my subject. Hopefully convert others to my way of thinking.
- Fresh, enthusiastically written content; unique in concept and better than my competitors – not just another ‘built for advertising’ site.
- Plenty of solid advice (the wealth of my knowledge – no catches), downloads, captivating articles, RSS feeds and truly entertaining.
- Once you have established a niche, then exploit it. Make new social media friends who also love this subject.
If you build something that people want, then you will have success. The visitor should always be at the centre of your SEO campaign. Your website’s reputation for being ‘the site to visit’ will soon spread by word of mouth (or perhaps e-mail and web-links) and visitors will pour in at an exponential rate.
A thing to consider for powerful SEO
For the best results, create a website on a subject/theme that you feel passionate about. There is nothing worst than creating content or writing articles on subjects you couldn’t care less about. Your lack of enthusiasm will be reflected in your choice of language. Without such enthusiasm, all of the keywords and phrases that help identify the quality level and essence of your pages will be limp and sparse.
Also, don’t forget traditional SEO practises, such as the correct use of header tags, image alt and (to a certain degree, but don’t force it) keyword density in your copy. All of these things will help the search engines build up a picture of what your website is about.
So the key to success is not just down to standard SEO techniques, but the quality and energy of your content. Be enthusiastic about a subject matter. Get the social networks buzzing about your website. Nothing will do you better than personal recommendations from loyal friends and followers.
Remember, your target shouldn’t be the search engine but the visitor to your site. The bottom line is, they are the ones that will make you an over night success or an embarrassing flop.