Planning to migrate your WordPress-based blog or website to another server? The Export/Import options within wp-admin allow you to carry over your database. You need very little technical skill to do this and the entire process typically takes between 5-10 minutes.
This should not be confused with migrating your blog to another domain/server. There are ways of doing this, but they are a little more involved. This process is more about moving content between WordPress sites.
Export your data
When you export from WordPress, you are making a copy of your posts, pages, comments, custom fields, categories, and tags. This data is saved to an XML file for importing back into WordPress.
- Login to wp-admin.
- Click on Tools->Export from the left-hand menu.
- Select an option. If you are choosing to migrate everything, then select the ‘All content’ radio button.
- Click on ‘Download Export File’. An XML file will then be saved to your computer.
Import your data
The following assumes that you have already installed and setup your other blog website:
- Login to the other wp-admin.
- Click on Tools->Import from the left-hand menu.
- If this is the first time you have imported you will be asked to specify where you data has come from. Choose ‘WordPress’ from the bottom of the list. ‘Install’ and ‘Activate and run’ the new plugin for handling import.
- Click on the ‘Choose a file from your computer’.
- Locate the XML file that you previously exported.
- Create or select an author to be attributed with imported posts.
- If you wish to copy over images, click on the ‘Download and import file attachments’.
- Click on Submit.